Face masks have become an essential part of our daily life in the effort to prevent the spread of Covid 19. It is very important to wear mask and handle them correctly to protect yourself and others
“Coronavirus is spread when droplets are sprayed into the air when infected people talk, cough or sneeze. Those droplets can then fall on surfaces.Face masks are one way to protect yourself and others from the spread of coronavirus but they are only effective when worn properly. So, when you put, make sure it covers the most vulnerable spots on your face, the nose and mouth where the virus can be shed from. Masks should be comfortably fit toward the bridge of the nose”. Said Dr. Satish Kumar M G – Consultant Internal Medicine. He also welcomed the government decision in celebrating Mask day so that there is awareness among people about use of mask which has become part of our daily routine.
By wearing mask, we will reduce the risk of serving as the source of disease spread by trapping your own droplets in the mask and also reduce the risk of getting sick via droplets that contain the corona virus by blocking access to your airways. They are important in stopping the spread of the corona virus because people can carry and spread the virus even when they are not exhibiting symptoms. Presymptomatic and asymptomatic patients could well account for half may of the transmission. But for mask to be effective it has to be used correctly.
Follow few essential tips before wearing mask:
- Before putting on a mask, clean hands with alcohol-based hand sanitizer or soap
- Cover mouth and nose with mask and make sure there are no gaps between your face and the mask.
- Avoid touching the mask frequently while using it
- Replace the mask with a new one as soon as it is damp and do not re-use single-use masks.
- To remove the mask: remove it from behind (do not touch the front of the mask); discard immediately in a closed bin; clean hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
- If you are using reusable mask, wash it regularly
Columbia Asia Hospital Mysore has always been following strict compliance towards all the safety standards which are a key for its patients, doctors, staff and all the stakeholders and will continue the same in the future.