- One of the first in Delhi, the Versa HD from Elekta, delivers the best possible planned and targeted treatment to cancer patients who need radiation therapy
The Radiation Oncology Department of Venkateshwar Hospital has acquired a state-of-the-art linear accelerator (Versa HD from Elekta) capable of delivering all possible modern radiation therapy treatments. These include Intensity Modulated RT (IMRT), Image Guided RT (IGRT), Volumetric Modulated RT (VMAT), Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS) and Stereotactic body RT (SBRT).
The sophisticated imported equipment delivers high-energy X-ray beams that help target cancerous tumors. The unique aspects of this particular machine include:
- Reduction of radiation time, facilitated by high-dose output, helpful in the case of pediatric and geriatric patients, those who have movement disorders and those who are claustrophobic
- Targeted treatment that helps in better delivery of radiation at the tumor site, rather than the whole body, minimizing exposure to radiation
- Tailor-made treatment based on the site, size, and potency of the tumor, with the ability to deliver individualized radiation treatments at 3 different power settings
- Radiation planning in MRI as well as CT scans
- Precision-driven patient positioning, with a hexapod-based table, resulting in fewer side effects and better outcomes
- A focus on organ preservation with the ability to deliver all forms of brachytherapy (where the radiation source is introduced into body, in as close in proximity as possible to the tumor)
â€œVenkateshwar Hospital ensures the strictest possible adherence to international norms through stringent quality checks on the machine, through the I-Matrixx based quality assurance program to ensure patient safety. The investment in such equipment, along with the well trained oncology department and technical staff makes the hospital a comprehensive centre for cancer care,â€ says Dr Kuldeep Sharma, Consultant Radiation Oncologist, Venkateshwar Hospital, New Delhi.